Mold is not unknown to homeowners as it is a major source of concern to their health. Airborne mold spores result in allergies in people, which are exhibited as runny noses, sneezing, eye irritation, irritation in the chest, cough, depression, etc. If one is exposed to a lot of mold over a prolonged period, it could result in asthma or related health symptoms. In order to prevent yourself from mold allergies you should invest in the best air purifier for mold.
Here’s a quick comparison table of the best air purifiers for mold and mildew on the market for those of you who are in a hurry:
|GermGuardian AC4825||Alen BreatheSmart ||O-Ion B-1000||Honeywell 50250-S||AeraMax 300
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
|Filter Type: True HEPA Filter||HEPA-Silver Filter||Washable Charcol Filter||True HEPA Filter||True HEPA Filter|
|Noise Level: Ultra quiet operation||Silent operation||Quiet operation||Not as quiet||Ultra quiet operation|
|Fan Speeds: 3||4||2||3||3|
|Room Size: 125 sq feet||900 sq ft||500-1000 sq ft||390 sq ft||300-600 sq ft|
Best air purifier for mold
We have reviewed the top five air purifiers for allergies. So to know which is the best air purifier for mold and mildew, read on:GermGuardian AC4825 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System with True HEPA Filter, UV-C Sanitizer and Odor Reduction, 22-Inch Tower Air Purifier
This air purifier for mold runs on a True HEPA Filter which catches 99.97% of allergens and dust, not exceeding 0.3 microns. These include pet dander, plant pollens, mold spores and dust. Its charcoal filter reduces the extent of smelly odors from pets, apart from smoking and cooking. It uses UV-C light technology along with Titanium Dioxide to kill bacteria, germs, viruses and mold spores in the air. It is 22 inches in height and is ideally suited for medium sized rooms.
- It works silently on the lowest setting.
- It works as described–in fact, users could feel the air getting cleaner.
- It delivers on its promise of cleaning the air.
- It is perfect for homes with pets.
- The plastic wrapping of the unit was already removed when it came to a user.
- It smells like burned plastic.
- The filters don’t last six to eight months, as stated.
This air purifier is ideal for large rooms of 900 sq. ft, living rooms and open concept rooms. It can successfully reduce the presence of asthma, allergies, bacteria, mold using its BreatheSmart FIT50 with HEPA-Silver Filter technology and purify your air two times an hour.
It offers four kinds of filters for your different air purification requirements and 14 panel color options to match your home decor. Its SmartSensor feature intuitively detects and adapts to any change in air quality, thereby conserving precious energy and extending filter life. Its WhisperMax technology gets rid of all irritating sounds at high frequencies. It is a wonderful product if you have pets and need to reduce household odors.
- It works silently, except at high speed settings.
- It has customized anti-microbial filters.
- It is easy to change its filters.
- It is made with only HEPA filter rather than True HEPA filter which can catch more airborne pollutants than the former. However, it has an impressive the filtration system.
- It has a short filter lifespan.
This is an eco-friendly product that uses barely 7.5W of ultra-low energy. It does not require replacing expensive filters. Its feature of Electrostatic Ionizer Purification – Negative ions (O1) helps remove pollutants in the air that are barely 0.01 microns, such as pollen, mold, allergens, pet dander, smoke, household odors, dust and any other irritants in the air.
This devices sucks in air to purify and clean using its Whisper Quiet Purification Fan and Night Light feature. Its other feature, Carbon Filtration and Ozone Power (O3) < 0.05 ppm, helps reduce odor, freshen the air and absorb pollutants in the air. With UVGI technology, it effectively kills viruses, germs, bacteria and other disease-causing microorganisms.
- This product works silently.
- It has a handy inbuilt nightlight feature.
- It is a compact size.
- Running the machine for more than six to eight hours gets the plug hot.
- It does not capture allergens from the air as other models, particularly in homes with pets.
- The role of the ozone is not clear in the product description, though it is well-described in the manual.
- The customer does not know the size of rooms this product is made for, since the Q&As don’t mention this.
This could well be the best air purifier for mold as doctors recommend this product for being a true HEPA air purifier. Its filter can be vacuumed to extend the filter life so that it is replaced every three to five years. Its glass fibre HEPA filter can catch up to 99.97% of particles of size 0.3 microns.
Its carbon-activated pre-filter helps catch larger particles like lint, fur and dust and reduces household odors. Its special Intelli-Check™ Electronic Filter Indicator tells you when to clean or change your filters.
- It is a True HEPA product that gets rid of up to 99.97% of airborne pollutants.
- It aids in reducing germs in the environment.
- It comes with a five-year limited warranty.
- It is comfortably priced at below $200.
- It is noisy, especially on high settings.
- It has a short cord.
- The HEPA filter isn’t a permanent filter.
It is a typical HEPA filter that comes with AeraSafe antimicrobial treatment. So, you can depend on it to remove 99.97% of airborne particles safely and 0.3 microns of allergens like ragweed and pollen and viruses like germs, mold spores, dust mites and cigarette smoke. It has been certified to be an asthma and allergy-friendly product by the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
It captures the flu virus from indoor air very effectively, since it has a special mode for the flu and cold season. It is ideal for rooms with an area of 100 to 200 square feet.
- Its tall and sleek structure is space-saving.
- It works silently.
- It comes with an automatic air sampling mode and adjusts fan speed accordingly.
- It has an inbuilt carry handle.
- The filters fit compactly in the unit.
- The full manual doesn’t come with the product, it has to be downloaded from the Net.
- Touch controls on this device are unacceptable.
- The interface has very bright LED lights to be used in a bedroom, which cannot be dimmed or switched off.
How to prevent mold from growing
To prevent mold deposits in your home, keep it dry. Mold thrives in humid areas like the bathroom or a damp basement. To prevent mold from developing in your home, use these tips:
- Fix leaks and any plumbing problems
- Dry any spills immediately
- Allow fresh air and sunlight to come in to your home and dry up mold
- Let sunlight stream into your home so that ventilation is proper, especially after cooking or bathing
- Ensure that your clothes are dry
- Clean all drip pans of air conditioners
How to get rid of mold spores in the air
The cleaners that you get in stores are generally laced with chlorine bleach and harsh acids. You don’t need to use these products because they release harmful toxins into the air, causing untold health damage to your skin. Now, you can get rid of mold in your home using natural methods, such as:
Vinegar: Use antimicrobial white vinegar to kill mold. Fill up a spray bottle and pour it directly on the moldy deposits. Let it remain for some time and then wipe it away with a sponge. Repeat if needed.
Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil can get rid of mold deposits in your home since it is a fungicide. By adding a few drops of tea tree oil to a spray bottle, filling it with water and spraying it on the mold deposits, mold can be wiped away.
Vodka: Pull Pour some vodka into a spray bottle and spray it on mold deposits. Let it remain for a while and then wipe it away with a sponge.
Distilled Ethanol: The smell of vinegar put many people off, so if you don’t want to use that to kill mold, why not try something inexpensive like spirits that contain ethanol but aren’t filtered as much.
Dehumidifier: It’s good to get yourself a dehumidifier so that it can dry up the wet and humid parts of your home where mold and mildew thrive. So, install this device in your bathroom or kitchen and ensure that any leakages are plugged. Open the doors and windows regularly so that the fresh air can get rid of the stale air. If you have an exhaust fan, turn it on so that the air indoors is of better quality. Close your shower curtains when not in use so that they stay dry. By following these habits, you can easily get rid of mold deposits in your home and lead a healthy life.
Before you click the ‘Buy’ button on your laptop, think well and only then purchase the best air purifier for mold according to your needs. For best advice, speak to someone who knows a lot about them before you buy.