This is a guide on how to choose the best crawl space dehumidifier for your home? But the basics first – The hollow space below homes between the ground and first floor is called its crawl space. The height of a traditional crawl space ranges between one foot and three feet–just enough for someone to enter by crawling in this space. So, a crawl space raises a home off the ground. It is a convenient and a cut-off area that can be used to house the air conditioning and heater of the house, its duct work, electric wiring and plumbing.
Here’s a quick review and comparison of best crawl space dehumidifiers:
|Frigidaire FFAD7033R1||70 Pint||$$$||Check Price|
|Little Giant 554425 VCMA-20ULS||Can be connected to your dehumidifier to remove condensate. The pump's tank capacity is 1/2 gallon.||$||Check Price|
|Black & Decker BDT70PWT||70 Pints||$$$$||Check Price|
|Tjernlund V2D Model||This ventilator reduces moisture and eliminates damp, musty smell.||$$||Check Price|
|Frigidaire FAD504DWD||50 Pint||$$$||Check Price|
Why do you need a dehumidifier for your crawl space?
There are several advantages to having a crawl space dehumidifier several advantages to having a crawl space dehumidifier, such as:
- They rein in humidity levels in damp-prone areas of the house.
- It’s an excellent place to store valuables as they can be safe from moisture and mould deposits.
- They are rugged and robust as they are inconspicuous and can withstand harsh winters and equally harsh indoor climates.
- They have inbuilt drainage systems that disallow you from emptying the water reservoir.
- They take away the musty odours of a room due to high moisture levels. This gives rise to mould and mildew deposits. To get rid of the excessive moisture that breeds these bacteria, a dehumidifier in the crawl space will help immensely.
- This unit gets rid of the poor air quality in the home which increases the chances of mould and allergens breeding. As a result, people develop asthma, flu and a range of respiratory problems from poor air quality present in the crawl space.
- Condensation present in ductwork, water pipes or truss plates can create moisture that harms your health. This can be remedied by using a dehumidifier.
- Structural damage to your home such as termite damage, wood rot, rust, doors and windows swelling, buckling hardwood floors in the living room and insulation that sags.
Features to look for when choosing crawl space dehumidifier
When scouting for an effective crawl space dehumidifier, ensure that it has the right capacity or it won’t throw out enough moisture to fight mould deposits.
Here are some features to look for when buying a crawl space dehumidifier:
- Built-in adjustable humidistat: With this feature, you can customize your unit’s performance. By setting it to hit a particular humidity level, it will automatically shut off once it achieves this target.
- Hygrometer: This instrument measures humidity levels, which will guide you to monitor your humidity problem and rate the unit’s daily performance.
- Automatic shut-off: If the unit’s water collection tank fills up, the dehumidifier will shut off automatically and so prevent any outflow of water.
- Continuous gravity drainage: The dehumidifier will empty into the nearest drain, attached through a hose at the rear of the unit.
- Internal condensate pump: Here’s another option for continuous drainage, however since water is thrown out of the unit manually using a pump, it can be drained in any direction, including a sink.
- Air purification system: Several dehumidifiers come with an air purification system with a detachable filter. This helps with getting the required air quality. This is important since crawl space air rises and enters the rooms above this space.
Top 5 crawl space dehumidifier reviews
If you have a constant complaint of your home being struck with mildew and mould due to excessive moisture, you can remedy the situation by installing the Frigidaire 70-pint dehumidifier. This gadget gets rid of existing mould and mildew and safeguards your home from future deposits of the same. Bacteria in the air that are obstacles to breathing are also removed by using this unit.
The Frigidaire dehumidifier works continuously and silently, when placed near a drain. Its Ready-Select electronic controls consist of a digital humidity readout, 24-hour on/off timer switch and a control lock. Its Effortless Humidity Control helps control the humidity level in the room. This dehumidifier’s design integrates top and side handles and casters that enable portability from room to room. It works on low temperature, thereby saving the user money and energy. It works better in warm weather when humidity levels are high and mould deposits grow. This makes it more economical to run only in the spring and summer.
- It works silently and efficiently.
- Its design is attractive.
- When the container is full, it can be easily carried to the dump.
- A user complained about its faulty engineering.
- The unit can’t work independently, according to one user.
The Little Giant VCMA-20ULS is perfectly designed to collect, detect and remove automatically condensate from your air conditioners, furnaces, condensing boilers and all other equipment in situations when drainage isn’t possible. This unit comes with a stainless steel pump shaft, an on/off pump switch, a detachable 3/8″ barbed check valve, a six-feet power cord, and a 1/30 HP high performance motor with protection from thermal overload. The pump has a capacity of 0.5 gallon, an ABS tank and motor cover and ABS volute. Due to its check valve, this unit pumps 80 GPH.
This unit works on vertical centrifugal pump design. It also has three x 1-1/8” diameter inlet openings. It is thermally protected and its motor is cooled by a fan. The maximum water temperature is 140 ºF. It works with a 6 feet, 3-conductor cable and a three-pronged plug that’s earthed.
- It’s easy to work with as this unit does not demand emptying from time to time.
- It’s easy to install and fix.
- It works reliably and lasts long even when one uses the air conditioner and furnace right through the year.
- After taking 30 minutes to install the pump, the user found that the check valve was defective.
- Customer care is not helpful.
- Another user complained that the water stopped pumping on the second day after purchase.
This robust dehumidifier, the Black+Decker can extract a maximum of 70 pints of water from the environment in 24 hours. With its extra large bucket whose capacity is 7 liters, only means you have to empty less water. You can drain out water by two ways to an external container, including an integrated pump that pushes water in all directions, including vertically. It is easily portable within the house and can be operated in a range of 54 degrees.
The Black+Decker dehumidifier has an adjustable humidistat along with an LED digital display. It also has a removable 8 litre-bucket with an indicator for the water level and another to show the bucket is full. It works on auto shutoff. It can be run on three speeds and has an environment friendly refrigerant. It can be used for long periods in the bedrooms, living rooms and basements since it has preset humidity settings.
- It works very well.
- It extracts a lot of water from the air.
- It saves a lot of electricity.
- A user complained that this product is highly deficient. Though the fans work, they do not help to dehumidify the air.
- Customer care is not helpful.
The Tjernlund UnderAire™ space fan ventilator safeguards your home by reducing moisture levels in crawl spaces. By doing this, the possibility of mould, mildew, wood rot and condensation is vastly decreased. It also prevents deposits of radon gas, treated wood gases and malodours from entering your home and risking your family’s health.
This ventilator is of robust build with its frame of heavy-gauge galvanized steel. It comes with sealed bearing fan motors which work non-stop. This unit has received a certification on the ETL Safety listing which makes it “suitable for damp locations.”
Since its frame is made of galvanized steel, it can fit comfortably into any small space, making it is space-saving. It can be mounted onto ventilators in buildings. It is also easy to install and its controls are easy to operate. Its fan comes with an integrated automatic humidity control feature and a freeze control thermostat.
- It is built very well.
- It works on auto shut off when the humidity level reaches where you want it to.
- It has a variety of humidity settings.
- It airs the crawl space efficiently.
- It works silently.
- Users complained that this unit did not answer their problems of humidity entirely.
This dehumidifier can work continuously when it is nearby a good drain. It has top-center mechanical switches, a good collection container with a level indicator and a filter that’s washable so it can get rid of bacteria, room odours and other air borne particles. By eliminating airborne bacteria, it enables easy and clean breathing.
This 50-pint dehumidifier uses standard electrical outlets of 115V. It works on low temperatures, thus making it an energy-saving and economical unit. The Frigidaire dehumidifier works with ready-select electronic buttons with a digital humidity readout and a round-the-clock on and off timer, and a control lock. Its easy to use humidity control buttons help you control the humidity level in your room, making you extremely comfortable. It shuts off automatically the moment the tank is full. It gives out an alarm when the tank is almost full and it’s ready to have the water bucket emptied.
It has an Energy Star certification which means it prevents greenhouse gas emissions by adhering to the guidelines set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy.
- Customers are happy with this product.
- This unit is very reliable and highly durable.
- It works noiselessly even when the fan is on high speed.
- It is a lightweight unit and is equipped with an extendable top handle and cord that works for maximum portability.
- In its class of 50 pint dehumidifiers, it is the most inexpensive.
- It does not have a defrost mode.
- Its hygrometer accuracy and removal rate of moisture are both below average.
These are some of the better-performing crawl space dehumidifiers in the market today. Now that you know their features, pros and cons, you can choose the best crawl space dehumidifier from among them and make your home more liveable.