- 1 Why Purifiers are needed for Pets
- 2 Features of Pet Air Purifiers
- 3 Pet Allergies and Odors
- 4 Which is the best air purifier for pets? – Reviews of top 6
- 4.1 GermGuardian AC4825
- 4.2 O-Ion B-1000 Permanent Filter Ionic Air Purifier Pro Ionizer with UV-C Sanitizer, New
- 4.3 GermGuardian AC5250PT
- 4.4 Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA Air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology
- 4.5 Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower Air Purifier with Permanent Washable Filters
- 4.6 Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter
- 5 Concluding thoughts
Having a healthy pet is something all pet parents want, and most people don’t realize that pets can be affected by allergens, bacteria, dust, mold, viruses, and germs – just like humans are affected. One great way of alleviating those allergies for the pets in the house is getting one of the best air purifier for pets to eliminate the pollutants and remove odors (and that includes the odors the pet produces as well).
Why Purifiers are needed for Pets
Most people don’t realize that pet allergens actually come for the pet’s glands, urine, or saliva which dries on the skin and then flakes off as the dead skin is left on floors and furniture – and is even airborne landing on all other surfaces in the home.
The best way to catch these allergens is with specialized filters that help clean the air, and eliminating the odors in the process. There are two main methods of removing these undesirable allergens in the home:
- HEPA Filters – These are High Efficiency Particulate Air filters which are capable of trapping the tiniest particles of dust, bacteria, mold, spores, or other pollutants. There are True-HEPA filters and HEPA-like filters, which do make a difference in the grading of the air purifier.
- Electrostatic Filters – These have an ionization process where the allergens are bombarded with an electrical charge and then the charged microbes are collected on specialized plates. In some cases these ions are released in the air where, and because they are charged, they attach to the other particles in the air and settle onto other surfaces.
- Pre-Filters – These are filters that trap the larger particles in the air, such as pet hair or fur, dirt, other airborne substances, and prior to them entering the HEPA filters.
Regardless of which air purifier is selected, make sure to understand which type of filter is designed in the air purifier.
|Product||Filter Type||Fan Speed||Operation||Check Price|
|True HEPA Filter||3 Speeds||Ultra-Quiet Operation||Check Price|
|Carbon Filtration||2 Speeds||Whisper-Quiet Operation||Check Price|
|True HEPA Filter||5 Speeds||Quiet Operation||Check Price|
|True HEPA Filter||4 Speeds||Quiet operation except when on Turbo speed||Check Price|
|Washable Filters||On/Off Control||Quiet Operation||Check Price|
|True HEPA Filter||4 Speeds||Quiet Operation||Check Price|
Features of Pet Air Purifiers
When searching for the best air purifier for allergies and pets, there are several criteria to look for in the unit:
- Filter Change Indicators – These are handy because indicate when the filter needs to be replaced and there’s no guesswork on when to change the filter.
- Remote Controls – Remotes do not come on all models and very handy for people who are unable to get up and change the speed of the blower or the fan.
- Multiple Fan Speeds – This is very handy because the higher the speed, the faster the contaminants are removed from the air – particularly handy when cooking foods with strong odors.
- Caster Wheels – This is a handy feature if the unit is to be moved from one room to another.
- Programmable Timers – This feature maintain the quality of the air during the night or while away during the day.
Pet Allergies and Odors
One question that frequent arises is “Do air purifiers really work for pet allergies and odors?” For family members who are allergic to pet dander, an air purifier with a True-HEPA filter is needed because these eliminate 99.97 percent of assorted pollutants as small as .3 microns – which includes pet dander. The best models trap minute particles in the filter and prevent them from being re-released into the air – reducing the effects of the pollutants.
For getting rid of odors, be sure the unit has a charcoal or carbon filter to eliminate odors.
Which is the best air purifier for pets? – Reviews of top 6
There are many models of air purifiers on the market today, but some of the best air purifiers for pets are shown below:
In order to keep beloved pets healthy and safe, the GermGuardian AC4825 is designed with a True HEPA filter which eliminates 99.97 percent of allergens and dust that are as tiny as .3 microns. It also helps removed plant pollutants, spores, and even pet dander. This model is also designed with a charcoal filter that helps to reduce odors in the home from tobacco, as well as odors from the trash and even pet odors. It contains a UV-C light that helps kill airborne germs, viruses, and many types of bacteria.
Many customer loved this air purifier because it does a great job of removing odors from the home. The most common complaint is from the toxic smalls and a burning plastic smell that comes from the plastic unit where the bulb is housed; however, that does dissipate after a while; while other customer complained that it is somewhat noisy.
Many people have found that negative ions remove many of the airborne pollutants as tiny as .01 micro, which includes mold, dander from the pets, disgusting odors, mold, pollens, and many other types of allergens that affects the health of family members and pets. This O-Ion B-1000 Permanent Filter Ionic Air Purifier Pro Ionizer with an ultraviolet germicidal irradiation Sanitizer, New is designed with a carbon filtration systems that eliminates odors and assorted pollutants, as well as freshening the air – and best of all it’s very quiet. The UVGI technology kills many bacteria, viruses, germs, and many other microorganisms that make pets ill. It also has a night light in addition to effectively cleaning the air.
Customers like that the unit is very light and very quiet. In addition it only uses 7.5 watts for low energy usage and there are no expensive filters that have to be replaced routinely.
Pet dander, pollens, dust mites, germs, viruses, bacteria, allergens – all of these work hard together to make family members sand pets sick, but there is a solution. The GermGuardian AC5250PT is designed with a True-HEPA plus Pet Pure Treatment, which combines an antimicrobial agent in the filter that reduces growth of bacteria, molds, germs, and other viruses that are found on the filter. The charcoal filter helps reduce all those common household odors from cooking, tobacco, and pets. It also has a UV-C light, designed with Titanium Dioxide that also helps eliminate germs, bacteria, mold, spores, and many viruses. It has five speeds and a clean air delivery rating of 125+, along with a display that indicates when the filter needs to be changed.
Customers loved the air quality that this model delivers; it cleans the air and eliminates allergens and odors. Several customer complained that the UV light breaks easily.
With a washable pre-filter that captures pet hair and the larger particles that are airborne, the Winix WAC9500 Ultimate Pet True HEPA air Cleaner with PlasmaWave Technology is a great choice for an air purifier. The True HEPA filter seizes 99.99% of allergens, bacteria, mold, viruses, and other germs as small as .03 microns. The Carbon filter helps eliminate odors including pet, cooking, and tobacco. PlasmaWave technology removes pollutants to have an extra layer of neutralizing gases, bacteria, and other germs in the air. It also has a Smart Sensor along with Auto-Mode, Odor, Dust, and Light Sensors to automatically adjust for cleaner air.
As with many air purifiers, one of the most common complaints is the cost of the HEPA filter to replace. The main complaint is that the customer service at Winix is very difficult to get in touch with for problems with the unit or replacement parts.
When pollutants, germs, allergens, molds, bacteria, and assorted allergens have attacked the home, it’s time to get a Honeywell HFD-120-Q QuietClean Tower Air Purifier with Permanent Washable Filters as a defense for both family and pets. The filter helps eliminate up to 99 percent of these unhealthy allergens and the filters are washable by simply rinsing with water and allowing to dry. IT is ARB certified that complies with federal ozone emissions limitations. It is designed with an LED control panel that has touch buttons and three speeds.
Customers loved this air purifier because it is extremely quiet and does an excellent job of removing pollutants from the air, and the oscillating fan helps to move the air around the room and help cool it. The main complaint is that the oscillating part of the air purifier tends to stop working after a few months, but the unit still cleans.
There are many great features in this Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter. The True-HEPA filter eliminates up to 99.97 percent of many pollutants, pet dander, dust mites, and other allergy causing pollutants. It’s Plasma Wave is an excellent filter that helps to eliminate odor, chemicals, and may other pollutants all without producing harmful ozone. The ADC Carbon filter also aids in removing odors from pets, smoking and cooking. This model has a clean air delivery rate for up to 360 square feet – perfect for medium to larger rooms. It is also equipped with Smart Sensors with an Auto Mode which senses the air quality and adjusts the unit accordingly, and a sensor indicating filter replacement is needed.
Customers loved how quiet this unit works in addition to the excellent performance it has in removing allergens and odors from the air.
When pets members are affected by assorted allergens, bacteria, germs, dust mites, and other pollutants, it’s time to pick on the best air purifier for pets to put in the home – and the human family members will be happy and healthier too!