Your home can be an uncomfortable place to live in if there’s excessive humidity. If the air is laden with moisture, it could mean allergy seasons will be more difficult to bear. Also, it will be a perfect breeding ground for mould, making it less comfortable for you.
This could have made you think of investing in a dehumidifier, particularly if you suffer from allergies or have exceptionally high humidity at home, coupled by low air circulation. For this problem, the traditional solution would be a compressor-type dehumidifier, but if you asked around, you’ll hear of desiccant dehumidifiers.
What is a desiccant dehumidifier?
This is a gadget that humidifies the air by using chemical attraction to remove excess moisture from the air, rather than condensation. The most important part of this gadget is the desiccant wheel, a honeycomb composition of small airways which have silica gel on their insides. These units are perfect for home use as they are small and light and are available in a range of sizes, from tiny to large.
How does a desiccant dehumidifier work?
A typical desiccant dehumidifier contains a desiccant material, usually Zeolite, which absorbs moisture from the ambient air just as silica gel does. The unit contains a blower that blows air into it and is passed through the rotating desiccant wheel. As this happens, the silica gel absorbs the humidity in the air and sets free about three-quarters of it back into circulation in the form of dry and processed air.
The remaining 25% air is called “reactivation air”. The dehumidifier heats this air to anything between 90֯ to 140֯ Celsius, which help to get rid of the moisture from the silica gel. This humid reactivated air is then released through the unit’s duct framework outside it, rendering the room the right amount of humidity.
The lifespan of a desiccant unit will tend to be longer than a compressor unit as it is a much more simple process with far less moving parts, no compressor and no refrigerant gas being held under high pressure to potentially fail.
Types of desiccant dehumidifiers
There are four types of desiccant dehumidifiers:
- Disposable desiccant dehumidifiers: These units are also known as “moisture absorbers”. They are preferred because of their comfortable pricing and because they can be easily disposed of. They are inexpensive but cannot be reused. They are also ideal for small spaces and remove very little moisture in a day.
- Rechargeable desiccant dehumidifiers: These are also inexpensive, small-sized and can remove very little moisture per day. They work wirelessly, thereby being very portable. However, they can neither be used in large spaces nor for those spaces with high humidity levels.
- Full size consumer grade desiccant dehumidifiers: This is the typical desiccant dehumidifier that most people buy. It compares well with a compressor-based dehumidifier in terms of its moisture-removing capacity and its size. It is lighter, smaller, is capable of removing less moisture per day than its compressor counterpart. Its cost ranges between $150 and $350.
- Commercial desiccant dehumidifiers: These are generally used in the construction industry. They can dry air that’s already dry, they can be used in place of a compressor-based dehumidifier for commercial use.
Advantages and disadvantages of desiccant dehumidifiers
- Compact and highly portable
- Lasts 10 years
- No spills
- The unit needs to be recharged in an airy area which is far from the air you want to dry out
- Its capacity is very low, not more than 8 ounces
- It removes moisture very slowly–barely over half an ounce every 24 hours
While it may be difficult to point out any one of the five desiccant dehumidifiers presently in the market reviewed for you here as the best desiccant dehumidifier, it could certainly narrow your choices and ease your confusion. So, here they are for you.
Top 5 Best Desiccant Dehumidifiers
- It controls the ambient control and the condensation, mould and bacterial growth
- Its easy-to-use rotary humidistat operation level of operation is power-saving.
- It has several safety features: tilt protection, shut off, automatic water full shut down and heat temperature detection.
- Its ergonomic design minimizes spillage.
- It is quiet, small and lightweight.
- It does not contain a noisy compressor
- Ideal for homes, offices, garages, boats and basements.
- The unit stops working without warning.
- Poor customer service
This dehumidifier can collect up to a maximum of 250ml of water per day with a 500 ml maximum tank capacity. It is ideal for small spaces like cabinets, wardrobes, clothes organizers, and inside bedrooms, kitchens, bathrooms, etc. It keeps goods from being damaged by humidity, mould, dampness and mildew.
- It uses ultrasonic technology and creates a quiet environment, making it ideal for working and sleeping.
- It shuts off automatically so you needn’t worry about overheating.
- It works with LED lighting, and can switch from bright to dim mode when required.
- It has one button for four settings.
- Ideal for small spaces.
- It works silently and doesn’t interfere with one’s sleep.
- It collects a lot of water.
- After a user used it for a month, it wouldn’t turn on.
The EcoSeb DD322EA Classic is a desiccant dehumidifier is designed for homes and offices. It controls indoor humidity so that bacteria cannot grow, resulting in mould and mildew that cause respiratory diseases and allergies.
- It can extract a maximum 10 litres of moisture at cold temperatures where the compressor type dehumidifier isn’t effective.
- It is quiet and lightweight, using desiccant technology, so it neither has a noisy compressor nor does it emit harmful gas.
- It has an electronic control panel; auto setting, and has both turbo and economy modes for laundry.
- Its safety features include tilt over stop protection, auto restart and automatic water full shut down.
- It is ergonomically designed to reduce spillage and afford better handling.
- It works well and silently even in low temperatures.
- It works much more efficiently than its compressor counterpart.
- The user cannot set the unit to a particular humidity level so that it operates from there. Each time this has to be done manually.
- Product information is not easily available.
This 40 gram unit of Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifying Drying Agent comes to you in a conveniently designed and compact aluminium canister measuring 4″ x 2″ x 1/2″. This works ideally in areas not measuring more than 3 cubic feet, such as drawers, closets and safes. It provides lifetime protection for cases of cameras, laptops, musical instruments, guns and telescopes, and for tool, jewellery and tackle boxes. It works well also in small storage areas that need to be protected from high humidity which could cause damage. When the unit lights up red, it means it needs to be reactivated–something that can easily be done in a kitchen oven! It does not need replacement parts nor any refills.
- It keeps valuables safe from moisture.
- It can absorb 15% weight in water vapour in barely two hours.
- It reduces condensation and keeps dry even in damp conditions.
- It prevents corrosion, rust and mildew even before it begins to work.
- This dehumidifier gets rid of the stale smell when kept in small places like linen closets.
- It can be easily recharged.
Hysure Mini Dehumidifier USB Air Purifier Portable Dehumidifier Safe Material Replacement Desiccant, Small Dehumidifier for Small Space, Craw Space, RV, Car and Cabinet, White
The Hysure compact dehumidifier is made using Peltier Technology. This means it does not work with a compressor, making it noiseless and lightweight. It is just right for areas not exceeding 100 square feet, such as storage rooms, closets and cabinets, which run the risk of humidity and dampness.
The Hysure mini dehumidifier can be operated using a power bank and a USB cable. Peltier technology makes it lightweight and a silent worker.
- This dehumidifier is both easy to carry around and compact.
- It works with a socket or to a USB port, making it doubly convenient.
- It can dehumidify up to 100ml/day. It works well in a temperature of about 30 degrees Celsius in an environment of RH 80%.
- The full water reminder indicator turns yellow, making it convenient for users.
- It works silently and smoothly, dehumidifying the air while users can relax, sleep or watch TV
The above information should prepare you better for the market and the best desiccant dehumidifier available. Hopefully, this should help you make the right choice.