Buying a gun safe means you’re serious about protecting your weapons from damage. If your new dehumidifier does protect your weapons from damage, fire and theft, then it’s the best gun safe dehumidifier for you.
However, by investing in a gun safe dehumidifier, you’re unknowingly up against a silent killer or destroyer of your guns–moisture. A humid environment or locating your gun safe near the bathroom could rust your firearms if you’re not careful. While your gun safe can look after your guns, it also works to limit the airflow near your guns, thereby allowing moisture in the air to attack them. Excessive humidity causes rust, corrosion and mildew, so while you can still prevent these from developing, it’s well worth taking these preventative steps.
One way of storing your guns safely is to clean and oil them periodically. And, you can install gun safe dehumidifiers for further safety. By increasing the temperature in the gun safe higher than the surrounding air, you can lower the ill-effects of humidity. A dehumidifier will prevent any rusting from taking place in the safe and to your firearms and quite often reduce the humidity level to an acceptable 50% in a gun safe.
Types of dehumidifiers: There are two types of dehumidifiers:
Electric dehumidifier: To use these, you need to drill a hole in the safe and use electricity to plug it in.
Desiccant dehumidifier: Without a power source, you can still protect your weapons from rust and corrosion by using a desiccant dehumidifier. This doesn’t require boring a hole in it and you can reuse this product.
Here, we give you a glimpse of the top six dehumidifiers on the market that can do wonders for your firearms. You choose the best gun safe dehumidifier from them all:Lockdown Silica Gel, 750 grams
A silica gel is the product of choice for anyone not wanting to drill holes or use electricity but definitely seek lifetime use. These products are reusable and do not need parts to be replaced. They are also available in a few sizes and are made of steel and filled with silica gel that draws out the moisture in the air.
The Lockdown Silica Gel 750g is the best desiccant for your gun safe as it gets rid of mildew, rust and corrosion as it absorbs good amounts of atmospheric moisture in the safe. It does not allow condensation to take place that can damage the guns physically. The vents on the can give it a high absorption rate. When saturated due to moisture, the Lockdown desiccant has a color change.
Depending on the amount of moisture in the safe, you will have to recharge it, taking care to see that its color always remains orange. If you are going to use two dessicants, place one at the top of the safe and the other at the bottom.
- It absorbs a lot of moisture, thereby keeping your guns dry.
- You can recharge the oven using simple instructions.
- Lockdown Silica Gel is ideal for safes measuring 57 cubic feet.
- This gel is inexpensive, works wirelessly and does not need electricity to absorb moisture.
- It is meant only for those who prefer electrical recharging.
- It cannot work for large safes.
- It needs close monitoring while recharging.
- It does not absorb much moisture.
The Eva-dry E-333 is a highly efficient dehumidifier that neither needs batteries nor electricity to operate it. It’s a renewable solution that can be placed anywhere in an area not exceeding 333 cubic feet and absorbs atmospheric moisture silently. As this happens, the indicator window containing orange-coloured crystals changes colour to green. Once this happens, you can plug it in and keep it plugged for about eight to 10 hours in an airy room. After this period, the crystals will change colour once again to orange and it will be ready for use again. This process can go on for a maximum of 10 years.
Liquid doesn’t spill out of this unit and it captures air very well and keeps it within the beads for the next renewal. The refills aren’t expensive either. It is also non-toxic and child and pet-safe. Though it does not suit large spaces, it is ideal for small bathrooms and closets where mildew and mold deposits are likely to be.
- It is ideal for compact rooms and enclosed spaces.
- It does not need batteries or electricity to run.
- It comes with a five-year warranty.
- Its capacity is very low.
- It takes about 12 hours to recharge.
This is an electronic dehumidifier that circulates warm air all over your safe. It is available in a range of sizes so that one would always fit into your safe. It works by keeping away all humidity and condensation so that your safe does not have any deposits of mildew. It can be easily mounted inside your safe by using the mounting brackets. The cord does not come with an attached plug only so that you can adjust the length of the wire and then connect the plug. For a humid environment, this product is a boon.
This heating rod heats up to 120 degrees F and is ideal for safes ranging from 18-36 guns. Don’t place the rod on your carpet as with the heat, the carpet could be damaged. If you have a small gun safe and are looking for something inexpensive, this electronic rod will be just fine.
- This dehumidifier gives out enough heat to keep the unit dry.
- This dehumidifier remains at the bottom of the safe, so it doesn’t get in your way.
- The quality is the same as the Golden Rod, but cheaper.
- It takes barely 10 minutes to install.
- It gets too hot but not hot enough to start a fire.
- The plug is made of cheap material, thereby lowering the overall quality of this product.
The Original GoldenRod Dehumidifier is undoubtedly the most powerful of all dehumidifiers in the market today. It offers users maintenance-free solutions to issues regarding humidity as experienced in small places such as gun safes and boats. It works well for small areas not exceeding 100 cu. ft and comes with a lifetime warranty.
It doesn’t work on batteries, all you need is a six-feet cord that runs through your gun safe to plug it in. You can remove this cord from the unit since these safes have several small holes. This unit heats up to a maximum of 150 degrees Fahrenheit and keeps the gun safe steady at this temperature while also preventing condensation on the weapons. This helps reduce relative humidity sine warm air tends to be less dense and can retain more water.
It comes in four sizes–12″, 18″, 24″ and 36″. This rod has an electric heating element in a glass tube and insulated in vermiculite that insulates it against high temperature and immunizes it against normal damage, thereby allowing it to work for long.
- It does not heat up intolerably.
- This product can reduce humidity to at least 50%.
- The legs of this dehumidifier are shaky.
- For large safes, more than one unit is required.
The E-500 is a compact dehumidifier that doesn’t need much maintenance and removes atmospheric moisture from small spaces efficiently. It works well in areas of 500 cubic ft. such as small bathrooms, storage spaces or crawl spaces and is best suited to environments of little to medium level moisture. One charge goes on for about six weeks on average wherein you will need to set it once and forget about it. It is affordably priced at $20 and comes with a full five-year warranty.
At that price, it is difficult to find such quality and convenience as you see here. You obviously cannot use this dehumidifier in spaces like homes or offices where a full-featured dehumidifier is required, but this one works well in small spaces. It doesn’t call for using cords or batteries and you don’t have to either monitor it or touch it for about four to six weeks. Could anyone ask for more?
- It neither works on batteries nor needs any cords and can last 30-60 days on just one charge.
- It takes 12-14 hours to recharge the entire unit.
- It lasts for 10 years and comes with a five-year warranty.
- It is very safe for use.
- It is easy to use.
- It is low on maintenance.
- This unit cannot extract moisture from enclosed spaces and doesn’t do well in open spaces.
- It takes a maximum of four weeks to draw out moisture to dry a small space.
This amazing product comes to you with a whole lot of advantages. For instance, it helps air to get rid of moisture, prevents the growth of mold and mildew and maintains the quality of your safe’s contents. It is easy to use, protects the contents of your safe and enhances their life. It comes with a five-year warranty. It works on electricity.
It is designed differently from others in this category as it sits upright in one corner of your safe. Its method of operation is similar to others as it heats the air to prevent the contents of your safe from being damaged. If you find heat rising from the top of the unit, it means it’s working well. The absence of a fan makes this rod a silent worker. You might find it occupying the space that normally your guns would. If you prefer, you could choose a rod dehumidifier.
- It works silently.
- It is safe to use irrespective of vagaries of weather.
- It is non-toxic.
- It is easy to install and use.
- It is easy to operate.
- It prevents moisture from hanging in the air and mold and mildew from growing in your home or office.
- Its parts do not need to be replaced, so it doesn’t need maintenance.
- It is limited to working over a small area, so it would work well in small safes only.
These few reviews were specially presented to you to demystify you regarding this product and how to match your needs with the available products in this category. Hopefully, you can now choose the best gun safe dehumidifier according to your needs and protect your guns and other valuables.