- 1 Benefits of using whole house humidifiers
- 2 Types of whole house humidifiers
- 3 Which is the best whole home humidifier?
- 4 Conclusion
The best whole home humidifier is a unit that is designed to provide the ideal amount of moisture to your home, thereby reducing the ill-effects of dry air and making you comfortable at low thermostat settings.
Benefits of using whole house humidifiers
It is a well-known fact that a certain level of humidity is required to keep the atmosphere healthy and balanced, particularly inside the home. Humidity levels under 35% can seriously impact your health with dry air extracting all the moisture from your body, making you feel colder and giving you dry skin and making you prone to infection. It also makes you sick and prone to allergies and asthma.
By installing the best whole home humidifier, you can also get rid of any mould deposits, thus making your home a healthy place to live in. Humidifiers have plenty other benefits, such as:
- Convenience: Once you set up your whole-house humidifier, all you need to do is to set the humidity level and leave it to function. These devices measure humidity with a hygrometer and it automatically humidifies the air as your furnace works to warm it up, thereby distributing it to all the rooms of your house via your duct work.
- Humidity Level: A whole-house unit constantly monitors the house’s indoor humidity level, and adds moisture when required and limits the humidity level to the chosen setting. There are several room units that do not come with regulators that can stop humidifying the whole house when the pre-set humidity level has been reached. However, this is necessary as excessive humidity can cause mould, mildew and dust mites.
- Maintenance: All parts of a room humidifier must be cleaned to prevent mould and bacteria deposits. But a whole house humidifier needs to be cleaned just once or twice a year to clean white dust mineral deposits left by steam. Apart from this, it does not need any other maintenance.
- Health: Since the humidity level of a whole house humidifier is kept constant, it helps you breathe healthy air, no matter which room you are in. Dry air can increase the chances of sinus problems and cause nose bleeds and respiratory problems. However, when the air is humidified, it reduces dry skin and throat, chapped lips and snoring.
- Comfort: Humid air is warmer than dry air, set at the same temperature. By adding a furnace to your whole house humidifier, the heated air allows you to set your thermostat a few degrees lower so that you enjoy the same warmth and comfort all over your house. Besides, having a lowered thermostat lets you save money on your heating bill.
- Operating Costs: A whole-house humidifier is made part of your household water system, so you don’t have to buy any special water. This increases your water bill marginally.
Types of whole house humidifiers
All whole house humidifiers are installed directly into the home’s central heating and air conditioning systems. Together, they normalize the humidity all over your home and automatically add moisturize the system when the furnace or air conditioner comes on. The point of difference is in the way they bring in moisture to the system. There are three common types of whole house humidifiers:
Drum Systems: These humidifiers have a fabric or foam belt that spins on a drum kept on a water reservoir. The belt absorbs moisture from the reservoir, and when the air conditioner or furnace blows air over the drum, the moisture evaporates into the air and wafts all over your home. Of the three types of whole house humidifiers, drum systems are the cheapest, but they need to be cleaned often or mould grows in the water reservoir.
Flow-Through Systems: operate by dripping water through a foam or aluminium pad. Your furnace or A/C blows air through the pad, picking up moisture and delivering it to the rest of your home. Flow through systems don’t have the problems with mold that drum systems have, though you will need to clean or replace the pad periodically since it will eventually accumulate dust and dirt and clog up.
Spray Mist Systems: These devices let out a very fine spray into the ductwork of your home when your furnace or air conditioner begins to work. Though they don’t need the ongoing maintenance that drum or flow-through systems do, yet they can develop mineral deposits if your mineral water supply gives you hard water.
Which is the best whole home humidifier?
Let’s review some of the best whole home humidifiers available today:
The Honeywell HCM-6009 Quietcare Console Humidifier is specially designed to work over an area of 2300 sq. ft or multi-room spaces. This cool moisture humidifier comes with adjustable humidity control settings and options for several outputs. It is 30% quieter than its competitors and allows for better sleep quality, while also reducing the build-up of static energy caused by dryness. Its adjustable humidity controls helps maintain a constant air humidity level and relieves dry air symptoms like cough, asthma and congestion. Its high capacity nine gallon dual water tank works for 24 hours to full capacity over 2300 sq ft. The two parts of the tank are detachable and can be filled separately, making filling and cleaning easier. Each tank’s capacity is 4.5 gallons of water.
The machine senses water quantity and stops operating when empty. It comes with casters, enhancing portability. Since it is highly portable, cleaning it at a particular spot is easy. The filter is reusable till it wears off and can be turned inside out after each cleaning.
- The unit works well to keep humidity up and the users comfortable.
- It works excellently as an evaporative humidifier.
- The dual tank facility helps fill one tank after another and keep the unit working non-stop.
- It is far too noisy to be put in a bedroom.
- Filling the two tanks is very clumsy because you can’t hold them upright in a sink without a handle.
EP9 800 is an evaporative humidifier that can add elegance and charm to any room. It works by directing air through a wet wick filter and then sending the moist air back into the home environment. The AIRCARE EP9800 can humidify a maximum area of 2,500 square feet or a medium-sized house. It has a digital humidistat so that you can set your humidity level and let it work for you–about 43% to stave off cold or flu.
Its digital readout gives all facts of your humidity levels and allows you to control the desired level, the fan speed, etc. You can choose from nine different fan speeds. This device has an auto shut off feature so that it shuts off when the tank is empty. Its noise level is based on your fan setting, so setting it on the lowest level is best. This humidifier uses evaporative humidifier technology which is energy-saving.
- Its performance as a humidifier is commendable.
- The integrated hygrometer reads seven to 10 points above the humidity level measured externally.
- Operating this unit is very easy.
- This unit runs on energy-saving evaporative technology.
- When tuned to maximum speed, the nine-fan speed settings make a lot of noise.
- The water funnel should be larger to pour great amounts of water.
The Aprilaire 700 120V Power Fan Humidifier is designed to operate in homes of areas not exceeding 4,200 sq ft. It adds moisture to the home environment, thus alleviating irritating health symptoms dry air causes for your family and pets. This unit can evaporate 0.75 gallons per hour.
With the right humidity level running all over your home, your hardwood floors, wood stripping and interior moulding can be saved from the ill-effects of dry air, such as wood cracking. To maintain it well, it’s necessary to change the water panel evaporator of the humidifier once annually, except if you live in a very dry climate where you might have to replace the filter more often.
This humidifier has an integrated automatic digital control system with external sensors and a water pad that matches perfectly with modern inbuilt bypass damper. For the consumer, it means installing fewer product parts.
- The humidifier is installed through the home’s central heating system so that its benefits run through the entire house.
- The product comes with an automatic digital control situated on the cold air return duct that tells you about moisture levels of indoor air.
- It can intuitively sense whether your indoor air needs more humidity or not and will take appropriate steps to achieve it.
- It is difficult to understand the mechanism of this unit.
- Its installation instructions are difficult to understand for lay people. So it is better to have it installed by an expert in this field.
- Ensure your unit is installed by a company representative or you will not get the full benefit of the warranty certificate.
The Bionaire Ultrasonic Filter-Free Tower Humidifier is an ultrasonic humidifier that can increase the indoor humidity of your home considerably. Its attractive design complements the interiors of any home. It is also economical as it does not need much cleaning or maintenance.
By preventing the growth of bacteria in the tank, this device provides us with antimicrobial protection. If left untreated, it could affect the performance of this device. For ease of its operation, there’s an LCD digital humidity display where users can see the current levels of humidity and set the desired levels appropriately. The Bionaire Pure Quiet Visible mist feature is recommended by doctors. It provides anti-micro-organism protection. With Automatic Convenience, the device switches off automatically when the tank is empty. This device has a capacity of 1.5 gallons of water and can run up to a maximum of 48 hours per tank filling.
- It doesn’t need much space, and has an automatic humidistat for humidity level control.
- It works silently, so you’re not disturbed at night.
- The output of the water tank is not good enough for some users.
- Though the reservoir is full, the display continues to flash.
- The unit remains on only for a few hours, then shuts off and needs to be unplugged to reset.
- It is very noisy.
The Homdox 1.6Gallon Ultrasonic Warm and Cool Mist Humidifier has a capacity of 1.6 gallons capacity tank, with the humidifier working all night. It covers an area of 30-60 sq. meters. An integrated water purifier gets rid of bacteria and malodour from the water by merely filling the unit with water and setting the humidistat to your desired humidity level.
It also has waterless protection function, where the unit automatically shuts off when water levels are very low. It can be operated by remote control which can be operated within a six meter range. You can set the remote control to multi-function. It is perfect for seniors and those with problems of mobility.
It sprays warm and cool water according to your setting. It works silently and humidifies the air to prevent you and your family from dry air issues. It also makes a good gift.
- It works noiselessly.
- It is economical as the water purifier does not need to be replaced.
- For aromatherapy, this unit works well.
- Remote control is a big boon.
- The lights on this unit cannot be turned off.
- The unit switches off on its own and runs only for 15 minutes at a time.
- The front buttons don’t light up.
For you and your family’s better health, it’s advisable to invest in a whole house humidifier that can keep small problems like cough, cold and flu at bay.